Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) was founded as a Christian nonprofit in 1987 through the efforts of a Minnesota businessman who felt called by God to help feed the starving children of the world during a humanitarian visit to Honduras. He returned to the Twin Cities (Minnesota) to develop a method of large-scale relief.
In 1989, FMSC connected with food scientists from Cargill and General Mills to develop a nutritional product especially for FMSC to feed starving children. This food product included rice, soy, vegetables, a vegetarian-based chicken flavoring, and a vitamin and mineral mix. Food scientists continue to update the formula.
In addition to creating this formula, FMSC sought to develop a cost-effective means of producing the meals in quantities that would make a real difference in alleviating world hunger. Initially, FMSC tested packaging machines, but this method proved to be expensive and cumbersome. In 1993, a church group stopped by the FMSC facility to pursue volunteer opportunities with FMSC. That providential meeting gave birth to FMSC’s volunteer-packing approach.
To distribute the packed meals, the FMSC team began establishing partnerships with major global distribution nonprofits and imbedded missionaries such as Salesian Missions, Love A Child, Cross International, Samaritans International, and World in Need. These partnerships allow FMSC to reach desperately needy children in remote parts of the world by leveraging the partner’s in-country expertise. This expertise allows the partner to help ensure that the orphanages, schools and facilities for disabled children are provided hot, nutritious meals—and a ray of hope for the future.
In December of 2003, FMSC’s Board of Directors voted to rededicate the organization to Christ. Since that moment, FMSC’s growth has been virtually exponential. In 2003, FMSC produced 3 million meals with one packing site and 17,000 volunteers. By 2009, FMSC produced over 96 million meals with 4 permanent packing sites, a nationwide MobilePackTM program, and more than 416,000 volunteers.
What is Feed My Starving Children?
Feeding God’s Starving Children Hungry in Body and Spirit
With God’s help, Feed My Starving Children (FMSC) will strive to eliminate starvation in children throughout the world by helping to instill compassion in people to hear and respond to the cries of those in need.
Our Statement of Beliefs
As a Christian Organization:
- We believe that there is one God, in three persons: Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. He has directed us to help others in need.
- We believe Jesus Christ is the reason that FMSC exists and we strive to listen for and follow His Will every day in all that we do.
- We believe that every child has a right to be fed a nutritious meal. [Matthew 25:35 – “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat.”]
- We believe that our lives are enriched when we graciously give our own time and resources to help others in need. [Luke 6:38 – “Give and it will be given to you.”]
- We believe partnering with other faith-based and humanitarian organizations maximizes our ability to feed God’s children.
Our Commitment to Excellence
- FMSC staff will follow Christian principles through Christ-centered living and actions. This will guide and direct our organization in fundraising, packaging and distributing food to those in need.
- We will encourage people of all beliefs to help us accomplish our mission.
- We will ensure our food ingredients are of the highest nutritional value to meet the needs of starving children.
- We will package our food through the use of volunteers to feed their spirits.
- We will partner with other humanitarian organizations to ensure safe transit and distribution of our food.
- We will distribute nutritious food to starving children throughout the world who are hungry in body and spirit.
- We will commit to supporting long-term feeding programs which help ensure the continued growth of the children who receive our food.
- We will promote public trust of our organization through efficient, cost-effective, and compassionate stewardship of our resources.
- We will provide for our employees a satisfying work environment that is based on trust, mutual respect, and doing the right thing.